Thursday, July 31, 2008

GOT IT and ARRIVED

After a day of running like crazy yesterday, I'm proud to say I got my car home.
Since all the administration was not yet done, like the visit of the local police to come and check if we live in our house, it was a big problem to get the license plates.
Yesterday morning I received a phone call from the dealership to let me know that the papers for my car had also arrived (the car was already there since Friday). First stop was at the bank to get a certified check. Second stop the dealership to go and pay the car in order to get the papers so I could get to the insurance company. Lucky for us the insurance is handled by a good friend, but he could not get our license plate since we were still "living in LA". Yes, that's what was officially written down: not living on this address.
He advised me to go to the city hall to get a paper stating that I had requested to live again in the village Elewijt. So I did. They gave me a document "Model 2" which should have been enough. Next stop was the local DMV (about 15 kilometers from where we live). 11 people in line and when it was finally my turn, they told me that the model 2 was not enough to get the license plates.
With other words: a car totally paid for in the dealership, insurance taken care off... but no way I could go and get it because no license plates.
I was outraged and drove full speed to the local police station of my village. They were already closed (4pm) but I was very determined. So I rang the bell and they let me in after I explained what was going on (that I was already waiting for 14 days for this local police check out). They were very helpfull and promised me that the local police agent would come the same evening so I could go to the town hall again today to get the right paperwork.
But, I also forget to mention, the strangest thing about this was that they did not find any request for a house check, so they had to go and get a duplicate at the townhall.
To cut a long story short, townhouse blames the police for loosing the paper, police blames the townhouse for loosing the paper.... and who gets the "sh...t"? Exactly we do.
But, the police kept their promise... not even 2 hours later we got the visit and the "green light".
This morning my dad came to pick me up to drive around again... same stops: town house (where they also did the paperwork for my new identity card, only thing missing is a picture that I have to get to them), DMV and finally the dealership.
Once again went through the explanation of the automatic gearbox because it is slightly different from what we had in LA.
Very carefull not to hit anything I left the dealership and went for a fill up (60 EURO), so my dear American friends, do not complain about gas prices over there, because I have a small car.
I already went shopping at noon, because now I'm finally able to get around during the day.
Love my car, for those in Belgium, a OPEL CORSA ENJOY 1.2 (so a small engine) and am getting used to the automatic gearbox.

Other big news is that our container already arrived, not even a full month since departure.
Yesterday Alain got a phone call from the Belgian handler of our international move. They told us the ship had arrived yesterday in Antwerp and asked us for a whole bunch of papers. Yes, again paperwork. But I have to say that for this one I was well prepared, so by return mail they got all they needed. Now I'm anxious to get the container home of course... to unpack all our memories from Marina del Rey. Also to see "what" Tamzen and Jeff gave us as a goodbye gift, since they told us not to open it before it arrived in Belgium. Can hardly wait Tamzie...
I guess it will at least be another full week (maybe even more) before customs clear and Putters (the movers) deliver it.
I should say that that is perfect, because I'm not done with my painting and today it is so hot that I do not feel like starting that job (second part of our wall in the living room which I'm painting jungle green).

That's all for now my dear darlings... once I find that stupid cable to connect my camera to the pc, I'll post a picture of my car, my house and so on....

Love you all and miss you a lot.
Hugs

2 comments:

De Martens in Pasadena said...

amai, amai, dat is daar weer de moeite hoor ik! Al dat over en weer geloop! Gelukkig ook goed nieuws dat de container in aantocht is. Schilder maar naarstig verder, je hebt er wel een typisch weerke zoals in California voor uitgekozen zunne!! Groetjes, Nele

marijke said...

Ben zo jaloers! Onze container zou op 7 augustus moeten aankomen, en dan moeten we nog wachten op de controle natuurlijk. En het verhaal over de auto is zeer herkenbaar...