Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Sunday evenin dinner at an American diner and arrival of our container

First things first.
Saturday we spent the day painting... and in the evening Alain went out for drinks with Karl, a friend he had not seen for 2 years. I went to the doctor in the morning because again I was feeling low on energy (yes, in need of a B-12 shot again) and had my blood tested. In the meantime got the results and indeed everything was OK except for the B12 that is kind of low (even after the shots).
Sunday we did some more painting, although I had promised myself not to touch a paintbrush the entire weekend.
Rosette proposed to have dinner at an American Diner here in our little village of Elewijt. Of course we agreed, since it was their gift for my birthday (instead of going to the sauna for which we still not have picked a date). And so we went, if I have to be honest not with high expectations, because how in the name can a Belgian diner be an American diner.
I have to say that 'The Snax" was better than expected. I had a 100% American Bacon Burger. It was pretty good and very close to what you get for example at Ruby's in Redondo Beach-CA.
After our dinner we went to an ice cream bar where I had a very nice strawberry vanilla ice cream (yummie)... Thanks Rosette and Monty for this nice treat.
Monday the movers were supposed to come. Because Putters International Moving had not confirmed the exact hour of arrival, we were in doubt if they would or would not be there. Around 7 am Alain woke me up and said he could hear the truck in front of the house. A quick glimpse through the window confirmed our container had arrived. YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH
Quickly got dressed and went downstairs. It was pouring rain outside and we were thinking about how our wooden floor (newly polished) was about to get ruined, but lucky for us it stopped when the movers opened the container doors.
Soon the garage and the kitchen floor were full of boxes and furniture, all to be unpacked of course. I had called in some help and around 9am my mom and dad arrived to give us a hand.
By 12.30 the movers left and we were left with unopened boxes that had to go in the kitchen, bedroom and so on.
By 7pm I decided I had to give myself a break and so I stopped unpacking. Anyway, nothing would run away (unfortunately).
Today I started again and by now the living room looks more like a living room and less like a storage space.
Axelle also had to do some work in her room and she did it without complaining, although there is still some work left and right now sleepovers are impossible because the visitor bed is full of stuff.
But... the good news is that almost everything was OK when it arrived. We have only 1 frame (the one that had the pictures of our family in it) that was damaged (glass broken) and 1 piece missing of a table lamp. So overall I think you can say this has been a smooth overseas move.
Thanks to NorthAmerican Lines and Putters International Moving...
What's on the program for the next days: more cleaning up of the house, some shopping and maybe a little bit of rest... who knows.
Hopefully we'll have time this weekend to give you a call in Marina del Rey, because this weekend we were not at home in the evening (your morning). Sorry for that.
Oh yes... almost forgot to say to Tamzen and Jeff: How was Albuquerque? And also: You made me cry darlings. Why? I unpacked the gift you made us put in the container without opening in Marina del Rey. Well... it brought back a lot of memories and made me very emotional (and that in front of the movers because I could not wait until they were gone to have a look at what you gave us). THANK YOU SO MUCH... it will get a very special place in our living room, just like the frame with Axelle and Maia that has already found a little place.
Remember the glass cabinet? This one is sitting also in my living room here, but here I did not put glasses in it but all our gifts from our American friends. I'll take a picture of it soon and post it, so you can see how close you are to our hearts.
THANKS THANKS THANKS for all your love and your friendship to all of you. We feel very blessed to have you in our hearts.
And now some pictures


No, this is not somewhere in The States, but this is in my own little village Elewijt... Surprised?
My neighbor Monty with the history of this American diner in Elewijt.... Their diner is based on the history of Route 66 in The States.

This is the yummie food we were about to eat...
And finally... our container... This was like Santa Claus had arrived at our door.

As you can see, a lot of stuff (and this was just the start of it)...

And a little bit later they also had filled the garage. Outside of the garage, if you can see through the wrapping, our bbq.
And so all ended well... we got our stuff at home.

1 comment:

De Martens in Pasadena said...

Amai, dat was vlug! Dat doet deugd zeker om alle spullen terug onder handen te krijgen! Veel plezier met uitpakken en laat ons weten of de televisie werkt he. Groetjes van Margaux voor Axelle;
Saluukes, Nele